[FWDLK] Update Info-won't run

Joe,

My rule of thumb is that if the engine has fuel and spark it should run. If
it doesn't run good, then one of these is off. When you get it started, test
the following:

1. Ignition spark advance for full travel, both mechanical and vacuum. I had
a 383 with a stuck mechanical advance once. It would roar like crazy, but
couldn't go over 30 MPH. Also timing at idle.
2. Fuel pressure. If the fuel pump is weak or restricted, there may not be
enough fuel delivered for higher than idle demands.
3. Ignition coil. A 45 year old coil that had a barely good enough spark to
begin with may not have a big enough spark for higher engine loads today.
Make sure the plug wires have the proper firing order sequence. Try a known
good coil, like the one off your engine that died.
4. Harmonic balancer. Sometimes when these get old, they slip on the rubber
bond between the hub and outer ring. The outer ring usually carries the
timing mark for the crankshaft. If it slips, the timing mark will be way
off, and when timed with a light, the ignition timing will be way off. When
the #1 piston is at top dead center, the timing mark should be at 0 degrees
on the pointer.
5. Just because somebody rebuilt the carb and distributor and replaced the
cam, it doesn't mean they did it correctly. The cam may have been installed
off a tooth.
6. I would rule out a vacuum leak or burnt valves. These may have
significant effects on idle quality, but not major effects at higher rpm.

Good luck,

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500