[FWDLK] Chrysler Power Steering Seal

When I first put my car together it had the original shaft seal in the power
steering pump. This is the seal that is on the end of the shaft where it
connects to the generator. The original seal was old and leaked like a
sieve. I bought a new one and changed it but it still leaked. I put up with
that for the past several years then last month decided to replace it.  I
bought an NOS seal for 17 bucks and installed it. Dang thing still leaked so
I took it apart again. It looked like the seal was curled over same as the
first one so I took it out and ruined it in doing so. I installed a Federal
Mogul seal (14 bucks) and it caught on the edge of the shaft and ruined it.
I was going to a show so I went anyway and in the course of a 25 mile drive
just about emptied the reservoir. I stopped off at the local Car Quest
autoparts store here in Duvall and low and behold they had a seal in stock
for $4.31 including tax. This time I decided to get smart, I pulled the pump
off this afternoon and separated the housing and removed the impellers and
shaft. This pump is amazingly machined and looks flawless inside. There is a
metal spacer on one side with an O ring that you have to be careful not to
drop. Also the center impeller is driven with a round key that can easily
fall out if you are not watching. That in itself is no problem provided you
can find it when you putting the pump back together. I drove the bad seal
out and installed the new one. It is much easier to do when the shaft is out
as you are able to seat it without the shaft interfering. I lubricated the
seal heavily with Vaseline and carefully inserted the shaft through it. On
the first go the sharp edge of the shaft caught the edge of the rubber on
the seal and folded it over so I pulled it out and reinserted it very gently
all the time rotating the shaft. This time it went perfectly. I put it back
together and took the car for a long drive. Absolutely dry, no leaks
anywhere, not even damp. Tremendous!  The seal number in case any of you
have to do the same is 470954 and the number works for Federal Mogul or Car
Quest.
Ron Dulmage
Duvall, Washington
55 New Yorker St.Regis