[FWDLK] A tale of two carburetors

About 18 months ago, the World's Slowest Auto Mechanic bought a carburetor
online.  About 6 months ago, I got around to installing it; I reported my
difficulties then -- the rebuilt 230 ran just fine at high speed, but idled
poorly.  The general consensus from the group was that the 1-barrel Carter
had a problem with the idle circuit (after having ruled out a vacuum leak).
I resolved to take it to someone to check out.

And so, today I got around to it.  I should add:  There's been a slow drip
from a plug at the base of the bowl -- it seems not to have been pressed all
the way in, compared to my original carb.

The carburetor man looked at it without taking it apart, and suggested that
I should bring him my old carburetor to build!  He said it would be a safer
bet -- that way, I'd be assured that the needle aperatures, etc. would be
right for the car.  I dunno; the carb I bought looks identical, and ran just
fine except for the idle.  I paid $75 for it -- and this guy wants $105 to
rebuild my old one!  It's too late to go back to the original seller, to be
fair to him -- but on the other hand, I don't think I got what I paid for.

What would you do, if you were in my shoes?

        Dan, TWSAM
        '55 Savoy