Re: [FWDLK] Kilometers per hour speedos

--- Owen & Jo Grigg <ram300@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> I suggested Wayne look at South Africa for KPH
> speedos, because down here in NZ we have a '59
> Dodge Custom Royal that has a 220KPH speedo, this
> car came into NZ in 1960 from South Africa.
> Verified by the ownership and import papers.
> Maybe they were preparing themselves for the
> conversion to metric ahead of time!

South Africa is a very interesting place for a
Chrysler enthusiast. I have pics of what is advertised
as a '63 DeSoto Rebel (a rebadged '61 Lancer) for
anyone who is interested. (Reply quickly, I'm picking
the letter car up this weekend!) It has a '61 Valiant
instrument cluster with a mph speedo. (Okay, I'm
confused...)

Of course this is also a RHD country that has been
known to assemble LHD vehicles for its home market;
Brendan Milne knows of a LHD '56 Windsor assembled
there, and I believe he mentioned others.

And they did like their Chryslers there! I'm told two
of the 26 Ghia L6.4 coupes wound up there.