[FWDLK] A starter solenoid riddle....

Ok, here is a question for the non auto-electric impaired folks...unlike myself.

You may recall that I had some previous questions regarding my new starter solenoid. Well, one person mentioned that the one I have may indeed only be a relay and not an actual solenoid. It seems they were correct because when I bought a new one and installed it, it worked fine. No more accidental starts in neutral, everything a-ok.

Well, I go out tonight to fire it up, starts fine, let it warm up, then go to shut it off.....nothing. The car just keeps running along. I fidget with the key, back and forth, still nothing. I do notice that my emergency brake light dims considerably when I turn off the key, but that is the only action I see. What happens next really throws me. With the brake depressed, and the car running  (with the key in the OFF position), I put the car into drive. Presto...the car shuts off as smoothly as if it had responded to the key. I put the car in neutral, start the car, running fine, go to turn it off, still nothing. Put it in drive and off the car goes.

Now, with all of this, I still can NOT start the car in any gear but Neutral so I gather the Neutral Safety Switch is still working. Now remember, the night before I had no problems at all. I double check the wiring to the solenoid and it is fine. Nothing loose, nothing touching. I have never had this happen before, including the day before!

Any thoughts??

James
1959 Dodge