[FWDLK] DeSoto ignition advice needed

Hi, gang.  I spent this afternoon trying to get the 57 Fireflite I dragged
from West Virginia back to life.  I don't have the ignition keys.  Engine
is free.  I put in a good battery.  I can jump across the starter relay and
make the engine crank.  I then took a wire from the battery + side to the
coil + side.  Isn't this like having the key "on"?  Then I cranked the
engine, but get NO spark at the coil tower.  Since I'm checking for spark
ahead of the plugs and plug wires, they shouldn't be a problem (but I did
check them anyway).  Adjusted points with dwell meter while cranking to 29
degrees (close enough).  Dwell meter does bounce up and down while
cranking, so I know points are opening and closing.  I DID NOT replace the
points or condenser, but looked them over.  I've seen worse.

I tried the coil from my son's Jeep, thinking the likely problem is the
coil.  No spark then, either.  Could the points/condenser be the
problem?  Is the coil the problem, and for some reason the Jeep coil wasn't
compatible?  Or is my whole theory about hooking the wire from battery to
coil wrong?  I really didn't expect this long-sitting engine to start right
up, but I know I need to find spark before it will even have a chance.  Any
ideas?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Ed
57 Firedome