Re: [FWDLK] Electronic ignition

Hi to All,

Not sure about the semantics and what electronic ignition stands for but I
have converted my '60 300-F to CDI electronic ignition with a MSD 6A box and
associated timing control. All hid very nicely in the console. I used the
set up with conventional points.

I knew nothing about ignition set ups but learned a lot along the way and
did research as well as speak to people who are experts and had some pretty
good mechanics install it.

Problem: My car, (true of most of these brutes) always loaded up the plugs.

Cure: MSD 6A & (Timing Control- Not necessary if you can run well on 93 or
below octane)

Advantages: Hotter spark so you can gap the plugs wider and have more
complete burning in the chamber. You have the majority of the power to
create the spark (6A box takes 12V directly from the battery rather than
stepped down voltage after the ballast resistor) developed by the capacitive
discharge ignition box rather than the coil, MSD 6A in my case, and the
points only act as triggering devices and don't have a lot of power going
thru them. My car has dual points. This system works with single point
distributors as well. This eliminates pitting. The coil basically acts as a
step up and doesn't have to build up much charge. In addition, there are
multiple sparks that give you more complete ignition. I went from 10 mpg to
16 mpg on the road.

A Pertronix conversion can also be used to eliminate the points. It uses a
LED sensor to signal firing. I didn't have success with the conversion but
that may have been from a bad coil that I bought. Replaced the coil and
Pertronix unit and the car ran great.

My car won't run well on anything below 94. Sunoco Ultra 94 is only
available in PA, NJ etc area. When set up to run well on 94, it ran terrible
if on a trip and I could only feed it 93. If I am on the road and I can get
only 93, I retard the spark while driving until it runs well. I call it
"dial-a-spark". If I want to run racing fuel, I can just advance the spark.
If the car pings, I just retard the spark.

You achieve this + & - ability by setting the timing control in the middle
and then set up the distributor mechanically. You still have to have a well
functioning distributor with working vacuum advance etc.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tony