[FWDLK] Ball Joint Removal Recap...

Title: Message
A big thanks to all who responded!

To paraphrase everyone's advice, I guess it boils down to this:

1)  This is a reallllllly tough nut to crack, so to speak.  It'll take a huge amount of pressure to break them free -- possibly up to 1000 ft-lbs!
2)  Therefore, it's usually best to take them to a machine shop
3)  Most machine shops should be able to do it, provided they have the special socket
4)  There are two sizes of the special socket:  C-3560 for Plymouth, Dodge, and Firesweep, and C-3561 for Chrysler, All other DeSotos, and Imperial
5)  The sockets are available from many sources, including NAPA, Snap-On, MAC, and Matco tools, as well as the original supplier, Miller Special Tools (http://www.spxmiller.com).
6)  While the ball joints are out, it's best to replace the bushings on the control arms.

I checked my usual local machine shops, and none had the socket. They offered to do the job, if I bought the socket.  I did buy the socket from Miller, who surprisingly was also the lowest cost ($30 for either socket).

So, I'm going to give breaking them free a shot, but if I can't get them out, at least I can take them to a shop to have it done.

I bought the complete front end kit from Kanter, that included the ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and all of the bushings for around $180.  That can also be done by a machine shop, or with a special tool (which I actually picked up at Hershey) or a universal press.

So, one way or another, they'll be replaced!

Thanks Again,

-Dave