Re: [FWDLK] gaaaah

Being of a younger generation and having owned a wide variety of old Mopars, I have had a few experiences in this department as well. I had a '61 New Yorker for a daily driver for almost 3 years. I used to have a bet (with younger friends of course) that if they could manage to get my NY'er started, put in gear, and drive around the block they could have it! It was a lot of fun watching people just sit there looking for the ignition switch on the column and then there was that really dumb face they would make when they couldn't find the "shifter"!! Needless to say, I never lost the bet. Also for fun I would take it to a local garage and make up some story about something being wrong and wonder if they would test drive it and give me a "professional" opinion! You would absolutely be amazed at how many mechanics could hold a straight face and tell me all the stuff wrong with my car when they didn't even know how to open the hood! Got to have some fun you know?

Louis Cortese, had mentioned how people always got that old flame rekindled about their "convertable that was never even made" after seeing his Fairlane. This brought up an interesting thought for me. I own a '58 Imperial with a 392 under the hood. When I tell people this way, they always say "oh that's nice...", but if I tell them I have an old Chrysler with the "H" motor in it I have to listen to every wild story they can dream up at a moments notice. Sometimes its nice (for me anyway) not to have my car recognized.

My most painful story is about a non-Forwardlook car that I currently own. Three years ago, I got the opportunity to purchase a 1962 Oldsmobile 98 four door sedan. It has every option on it and only has 44,000 miles on the clock! It is absolutely like a brand new car. I am not much of a GM fan but the price was very good and this is a very clean original car. Anyway, I called up an older friend of mine who is an avid corvette collector to come see my new prize! At first glance he sighed, then said "too bad you couldn't find a wrecked two-door, because you could use the front clip off of this one and then you would have something!"

Thanks for such a great thread!

Don Roberts
1958 Imperial
1962 Olds 98