[FWDLK] Carbs

    Hello list.  My '59 DeSoto has been running rough lately, and I noticed
that the oil level is up higher on the dipstick than when I filled it.  I
believe that there is gas getting into the oil.  So I turned my attention to
the carb.  I removed the air horn and noticed that there is a nice coating
of sediment on the bottom of the float bowl.  I also checked out the needles
and the rubber tips on them did not look too bad.  I'm no carb expert, so
when I look at the old Motor's Auto Repair Manual I get a little nervous.
They show all these crazy gauges and settings and stuff, much of which is
beyond me.  I can't afford to send my carb in for a $200 rebuild. I'd like
to buy a rebuild kit, take the thing apart, soak it, install the kit and put
it back together.  Can this be done without screwing up the factory
settings?  Are these carbs real sensitive?  It is an AFB.

Help!
-Eli Collins