From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Glen
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 9:26 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Engine Knock

Hi all.
Earlier this month I asked the List for their opinions on a nasty engine
knock that I was experiencing in my newly rebuilt 57 Fury 318 engine.
Thanks to the List I received a huge amount of suggestions.
Any one of these suggestions could have been correct.
So what was the mystery knock...?
Turned out that there was insufficient clearance between the bottom of the
piston skirt and the crankshaft counterweight, so that they were just making
contact as the two met at their closest point, when the piston was at the
bottom of it's stroke. My engine rebuilder machined a minimum amount off the
counterweight, and I have since sent the components to an engine balancer
for balancing.
With any luck I should have a smooth quiet engine again in a couple of
weeks.
I cannot thank you guys enough for all the responses.
This is a truly great List!!!
(I tried to include all the actual responses in a previous email, but as
there were 23 of them, the FWDLK List rejected the email because it was too
long-over 760 lines!)
Glenn Barratt,
57 Fury.