Re: [FWDLK] Powerflite Trouble

Joseph,  Before you get too involved in the transmission.  Here is something
you might want to try.  The part cost about 20.00, and a fairly standard
item.   I have seen this problem on a club members 55 DeSoto about a year
ago.  It also happened to my 55 Dodge about two months ago.  The rear flex
brake line, colapses on the inside of the line,  even though the outside
appears fine.  This maintains some pressure to the rear brakes, not enough
to lock them, but enough to hold the car back. My 55 Dodge really flew up
this particular hill,  270 hemi with powerflite. When this problem started
it could barely get up the hill. It felt like I was pulling a large trailer
full of rocks.  I checked everything,  pulled the rear brakes etc.  finally
I just changed that brake line, the problem went away,  I have put about 800
miles on the car since, and everything is fine.  The brake lines are all
about the same age and beginning to break down internally,as the components
start to deteriorate. I would suggest anyone with cars in this year range,
to replace this part the next time you redo the brakes.

Joseph Paolucci
Walton Kentucky

1955 DeSoto Sportsman
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer