Re: [FWDLK] A Purist Question to Ponder

There are a rare few unrestored original 'survivors' out there. I bought (and since sold) a 1974 Dodge Charger that had 5,000 miles on it when it was 21 years old. It was bought for cash new by an older couple for a second car and kept garaged (gotta love those older people). The only things that weren't original were the battery and the oil filter. I did get the battery that was in the garage with it but it was a basket case. I did find a dated oil filter for it and a repo battery that looked exactly like the dead original. Other than that, nothing else was ever replaced (even smelled new inside). Mel Majors has a traveling show at most of the larger eastern MoPar events called MoPar Survivors. More and more people are bringing survivors out of hiding to the shows. It's good to see examples of cars that have not been molested over time or over-restored. It gives a good example of what a 'factory' car should look like.

On the other side of the coin, however, are guys that take lower value cars (Savoy 2drht) and make them into higher value cars (Fury/Belvedere) by repainting and reserial numbering them. It's one thing to make a clone/fantasy car and call it such, but to change the serial number and represent it as original is a criminal act in nearly every state. If someone wants to have a rust free Fury and has a Savoy/Belvedere hardtop body that is better than the original and replaces it, that's his choice. But it should always be noted that it was a transplant if sold no matter how well the job was done. In some states, the title would need to reflect this by being marked as rebuilt status.

Larry