[FWDLK] Instrument cluster black strips

Hi,
I'm restoring the instrument cluster of my '58 Plymouth. I am wondering
what's the use of the lower and upper black strips of paint inside it ?
Also, the inside paint is a kind of yellowish white. Is that the original
paint or was it plain white that faded away ?
Thanks.
Vincent Van Humbeeck (France, 120 miles north of Paris)
'58 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe