From: Dave Stragand <Dave.Stragand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 10:56 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Two-tone factory painting process?

Hi All,

I'm trying to determine something on my DeSoto.

If I understand correctly, the cabs of the cars on the assembly line
would be painted entirely in the lighter color first, then the darker
color would be sprayed over it.  Therefore, when the cab of the car met
the front fenders and hood, those components would be painted just the
darker color over primer, correct?  That is to say, they probably did
not paint the fenders to "match" the possible two-tone combinations.

I'm asking because the front fenders and hood of my '59 have a slightly
different/duller/lighter color than the rest of the car.  The previous
and only owner swears that there was never any damage to the front (it
was tapped in the rear, but fixed with MoPar metal right at the dealer).

Does anyone have any insight into this?

-Dave