[FWDLK] Wiper Park Switch

Although some early vacuum-to-electric wiper conversions were available back in the fifties that did not have a "park" mode, almost all factory wipers were supposed to continue when the switch was shut off until they were in the "park" position.  This became even more complicated when wipers were modified to park in a lower position than their normal sweep movement.
In response to Greg's problem, there is a contact in the wiper motor that pwoers the wipers after the switch is turned on.  This contact connects the power to the wipers as a "second" power source in any position except the lowest, or "park" position.  When the wiper switch is shut off, this contact will continue to supply power to the wipers until they reach the "park" position.  Then when it opens, and there is no longer any power from the switch, the wipers stay put.  Greg's problem is likely to be just a dirty switch, an it can be accessed , but usually needs to remove and disassemble the motor to do it.  This is the type of job that we "backyard" mechanics are usually excited to do, because while it takes some time and labor, it is not deeply complicated, but just needs attention, and a clean kitchen table. (Oops!  I mean workbench). Clean the contacts in the motor switch part, lubricate the motor gears, use some "Can-O-Air"(the stuff that they now make for computer keyboards) to blow out the motor, and you'll likely have a Rebuilt Wiper Motor operating just fine.

If not, you're not much behind; you had to remove the motor to replace it anyway.

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe