[FWDLK] '57 Torqueflite (fluid w/water or coolant)

[FWDLK] '57 Torqueflite (fluid w/water or coolant)

Hi,
I've put some pics i took when we disassembled the transmission. You'll see the worn front clutches and the color of the "fluid" !! Yesterday i said "water" but perhaps it's "coolant" . As i said a shop tested the radiator and there's no leakage.
Pics are at http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/tq.htm

If the replacement screws held, we have to conclude that the failed screws
were the wrong grade of steel.  I assume you are sure the conversion from US
specs (inch pounds?) to European specs (dyne cm?) were done correctly?
It seems that the screws were weaken (heat ?). The torque was 15 to 20 ft.lbs (we have a torque wrench with US scale) and the screws broke before, perhaps at 5 ft.lbs.

B/T/W.......I wouldn't re-use the rear clutches, even if they appeared good.  The clutch materail is absorbent, and still could be mixed with water.  I'd not want to take a chance; changing them is cheap compared to rebuilding again.

We've put new rear clutches (and new rings, new gasket, etc..)

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com