From: John Bartell
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] transmission identification

Erich,
   The 62 to 65 727s have cable shift, as do our cast iron Torqueflites of
the 50's. They are also made of aluminum.  The 1965 727 has a splined
tailshaft and no parking brake on the tailshaft.   With an exception...there
were some 727s made in 65 that still used a flange on the end of the
tailshaft, such as in the Imperial.  This was the tranny used behind the
413s in the longer wheelbased Imperial and maybe others, as they used a two
piece driveshaft.  The only difference in the 62 -64 727s as opposed to the
65's as far as valve bodies seems to be the detent spring.   This spring is
a minor item, and can be changed without changing valve bodies.   I have
been told the detent spring in the 65 was stronger, as the 65 cars were
equipped with shift linkage to a box, and then the cable went to the tranny.
So, in order for your push buttons to work easily, a lighter spring is
needed.  And the cables will work from your 58 in the 62 - 65 727s without
any worries about the order  in which your buttons are on the dash.  The
reason one would use the 65 727 is to do away with the parking brake on the
end of the tranny and use a parking brake on a more modern rear end.
   I am changing my 59 Ply over to a 440, 65 727 and a 69 Chrysler rear end.
This way I get power, a tranny with a park, ( I plan to mount the park lever
under the dash somehow.) and a rear end with more modern brakes...no more
wheel pullers and warped drums.  I also plan to use the parking brake on the
newer style rear end.   I have been told the rear ends from 69 - 73 full
size Chrysler products will bolt right in to our cars without changing
spring mounts or driveshafts.   Of course if you change over to a splined
tailshaft and a newer tranny, you will need to have a driveshaft made to
fit.
   Where to find a 62 - 65 727....watch Ebay...I found one on there.  That
is how I found out the longer wheelbased cars still had flanges and not
splines.  I now have a 727 that needs a different tailshaft and main shaft.
I found another one to buy when I started to ask around the guys who build
drag cars and have older muscle Mopars from the 60s.  Another source might
be checking on the net for sites with Mopars from the 60s.   Also, put an ad
in the Fwdlk. Wanted Section.  I had to pay $200 for a 65 727 with a splined
tailshaft.  The rebuild kit for it was $140.  I am also putting in a
mainshaft from a small block  66 and up 727, because they have a finer
spline and then you can use a more modern torque converter.  Smoother shifts
and less clunk when you engage the tranny.   If you plan to race your 440,
then you may want to stay with the older larger TC.
   Hope I have not confused you.  If you have more questions, you could
email me or call me.   I do not know all, but I sure have learned alot in
the last few months chasing down info and parts.  My number is
715-743-2462...email me first to confirm a good time to call if that is what
you would want to do.
John in WI

Erich J Brewer wrote:

  I need a 62-65 Torque-Flite 727 for a big block (so I am told) in order
toput a 440 in my 58 Plymouth and retain the push button controls.  How do
Iidentify these from any other TF 727 transmission?  Also, where can I
findone??  Erich--

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html