From: "John Bartell" <jrbartell@xxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 11:14 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] adrenaline rush

> Hi all,
>    I just returned home from a trip to see my ailing mother in Milwaukee.
Not a fun trip, but I knew I had to make it.  Today my son and I left the
Milwaukee area for the 3 1/2 -4 hour ride home to Central WI.   I would like
to say we saw a slough of Forwardlook cars, but no luck...a couple of 58
Ch----s was the best we could do.
>    Just another boring ride home???    As we neared the Wisconsin Dells
hwy. 13 exit, the traffic was coming to a standstill.  I looked at my son
and said we were taking a different route home.   As we exited the
interstate, we decided to stop at the local Wendy's for lunch.   After a way
too long of wait, we decided to leave and went down the road to Taco Belle.
We ate our lunch, and my son decided to get another meal...(growing
teenagers....)  while he went to get his seconds, I was gazing out the
window when I noticed something silver flash...A GUN...did I see what I
thought...I told my son...hey, I think I just saw a guy with a gun...  We
decided to leave right now.   We jumped in my pkup., and headed around the
back of the building...my son yelled out...Dad he does have a gun...this
young wannabee gangster was tucking what apppeared to be a 9 mm. automatic
pistol in his pants and covering it with his shirt.  I told my son to grab
the cell phone and call 911.  We proceeded to cross the highway to a safer
vantage point  as my son told police of our location and what we saw.   At
the same time this young guy and his girl went into the Taco Belle.   In no
more than 90 seconds from the time we dialed 911, 7 squad cars were on
location...The police motioned for us to drive back to a point where we
could ID the "suspects," approximately 50 feet from where they would appear,
and surrounded our truck to guard us.   the two came out of Taco Belle just
as I was describing them to police.   I said "there they are," and WOW...
>    You cannot get an adrenaline rush like the one I got when 12 officers
all cocked their firearms at almost the same instant.   I  cannot watch
another COPS show without hearing those hammers and slides all being set to
fire.   To shorten this up some, the "bad guys" hit the pavement and after a
brief scuffle the gun was brought out and the two were cuffed.   No, not a
9mm, an unbelieveably realistic plastic BB type gun with a clip looking
exactly like the one the WI Dells officer compared it to.
>    I am gladto say nothing happend at Taco Belle, but this "repeat"
offender is off the streets tonight for carrying a concealed weapon.   After
the fact, I am glad I did what I did, but when those two "kids" came out of
Taco Belle, they were so close to being shot, I now have an eerie feeling in
my gut...What if????  I hope this "young  gun" learned as much as we did.
My hats off to the WI Dells WI police department for their speedy arrival
and superb handling of the situation.  The officer in charge told us do not
feel guilty or foolish, that we cannot imagine how many armed robberies take
place with look alike BB guns.
>    Sorry, but I needed to tell a friend...no, a lot of "friends"!!!   John
in a safer and warmer WI

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Calendars are still available. Don't miss the
chance to get yours now! Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html