Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

I would concur with the others who mentioned that these engines were equipped with hardened valve
seats from the factory.  Although I've never seen it for myself, I've heard the statement before
from other sources.  Call me a trusting soul, I guess.  On my rebuilt engine (done in 1985), on
which no extra valve seat work was done, I've racked up ~40K miles on regular unleaded fuel thus far
with no obvious valve damage issue; engine runs great.

Here's another interesting tidbit of information I received from a buddy:

"Bell Fork Lift in Mt. Clemens, MI has longblock assemblies ready to drop in...complete 230
C.I. flathead six engines. I'm not sure what the cost is.  These engines are still sold new and are
used in HiLo Forklifts.  Years back Chrysler sold the dyes and plans for these engines to be used
for Forklifts...[You] can get a 'crate' motor."

Now there's something to brag about!  "Yeah, I got me a crate-engine in my ol' Plymouth...runs like
a scalded cat, gets decent gas mileage too..."

Jason Rogers
'55 Belvedere and Plaza