Re: [FWDLK] UPS Customs brokerage rip-off

Re: [FWDLK] UPS Customs brokerage rip-off

If you are sending a packaged to the U.S. from Canada, Canada Customs does
not get involved.  The U.S. Customs people do, though.   Thus the UPS
"charge" is strictly an American situation.  Do not know how they handle the
situation if the shipment was to Canada from the U.S.

When you ship parcels to Canada via parcel post, Canada Post acts as the
"broker".  I have had many parcels shipped to Canada from the U.S. and each
time Canada Post has collected the moneys owing for PST, GST and their
collection "fee" for collecting these taxes.

Prior to the Canadian government's big push for "privatization" (ie, more
fingers in the pot, and usually their buddies' fingers), a package arriving
from outside Canada would go to Canada Customs.  You then had to attend one
of their offices and collect the package, paying such fees, taxes and duties
as they assessed.  Not sure how it worked if you lived in a rural area with
no Canada Customs office close by, though.

There is undoubtedly a little twist to all this if a person is running a
business in Canada reparing items.  The PST and GST would not be collectable
upon the item's arrival in Canada as it does not belong to the recipient.
And when the item is shipped back to the owner outside Canada, it is not
assessed PST and GST as the person does not reside in the province (PST) or
in Canada (GST).

Bill
Vancouver, BC