From: Matt Odom
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 9:21 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Riddle Me This...

I think I have a very interesting problem to be solved. So here it goes. My '57 Belvedere was sitting for many years, but always started up on the first try. In February we decided to move it to where we are living so it could be worked on. Any one following the list would know that I have been faithfully working on it since. Before we moved the car we had to fix the starter because a wire in it broke when we tried to turn it over. I hope you follow me so far. After repairing the starter we drove the car to its new location. Last week we tried to start the car so we could take it to have the radiator pressure cleaned. Nothing happened. Not even a click. So we charged the battery. Still nothing. Then my mechanic confesses to me that he mistakingly removed the transmission cable while hunting for the speedo cable. So we tested all the gears according to the service manual directions. They're supposedly right. Next we pulled the starter off and bench tested it. It is functioning correctly. Here's what is happening; when the key is turned nothing happens in any gear accept reverse. When it's in reverse you hear a click when the key is turned. I know this is not right! The car should not do anything in reverse. It should turn over in neutral. My husband says the gears are now off by one. I think he is right. Does any one know what is wrong with my car?? Can you tell me how to fix it??

I'm feeling really disappointed right now. This problem is the only thing standing in the way of me driving my car. Everything else is fixed. Imagine you've waited 13 years to drive your car. It's finally pronounced done after a lot of hard work. So you jump in, turn the key on and nothing happens. Well that's where I'm at. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day.

Leah Odom
'57 Belvedere 4 dr. sedan
'55 Belair 4 dr. sedan

PS for those who need to contact me off list, I have a new e-mail address PrincessLeah101@xxxxxxx