From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Philippe COURANT
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:25 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] about torsion bars

Hi,
I wonder what could happen if the torsion bars are tightened more
than factory setting, i.e to compensate too low front height
(smaller tires than original). Possibility of breakage ? Lack of
driveability (and comfort..) ?
I ask this question because my car has radial WWW tires (225-75 x
14) and they have  2" less height than original bias 9.50 x 14.
So the car is 1" lower than original and i sufferd from some
problems when i run on "slowdown buildings" (don't know the exact
word and don't know if you have these things in USA: it's a
cemented round obstacle through the road, 4 to 6 inch height, so
you have to slow down the car to 10 to 20 mph if you want to
cross it without a big jump !). These obstacle are common in
every small towns in France, because drivers cross these towns at
too high speed.
Problem for my Imperial is that it has a longer wheelbase than
european cars ! When the front wheels go down this damned *^"!°
(not all, because majority are enough long)  the rear wheels
haven't began to climb the beginning so the middle of the car
(exhausts..)  scrapes the cement. I don't have the problem with
the '58 Bui*k, it is higher than the Imperial.
I know also that all the fellows who have Corv*"te, Trans'*m,
Cama"%o  etc have still more problems than me: they must cross
the obstacle crosswise ! And even the modern cars which have
spoilers...

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible