[FWDLK] vacuum advance diaphragm leaking and other problems

[FWDLK] vacuum advance diaphragm leaking and other problems

Hi,
My Imp is ready to the 1000 miles trip (Chrysler Anciennes #2
meeting) but my friend ('59 Coronet) has some problem with his
car: no power, the car stalls at breakaway, very difficult or
impossible to start again, seems that engine misses some
cylinder(s) when it runs. He replaced points, condenser, coil
without results. He tried another carb (new), no results; he put
some gas in the carb and starting is always hard. He's checking
ignition wires and sparkplugs because it seems that it's a
ignition problem.

He found that the vacuum diaphragm is leaking (when he sucks or
blows, the air goes through). As he has no spare diaphragm what
could happens if he blocks the vacuum line from carb (to have no
vacuum leak). Could he drive the car without vacuum advance ?

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com