[FWDLK] Ammeters/brief electrical lesson

[FWDLK] Ammeters/brief electrical lesson

Hello All,
               I've been hearing alot of talk over ammeters and figured I'd offer my thoughts. Here goes.........
 AFAIK, all ammeters that I have ever ran across have three terminals, one for grounding, one for charging, and one for discharging (starting/running accessories). Basically an ammeter in the easiest method I can describe is a tug of war match. Picture this, the ground terminal is the line drawn in the center of the match. On the left side, you have the discharge "team" which wants to pull the needle to the left when you start the car/run accessories. On the right side you have the charging "team" which tries to pull the needle to the right when the alternator is running. The tug of war match causes a electrical tug of war match resulting in an indication on the dial that shows you what's going on in a measurement of Amperes. Amperes are a measurement of electrical current. When you think of current think of a wide stream. Voltage is an amount of pressure. When you think of this, think of the same wide stream but with a busted dam in front of it spewing out alot of water.When multiplied with the current, it  creates power which is measured in watts.  Now every ammeter I've ever seen hooked up in a car either factory or aftermarket uses a three or two (self grounding) terminal ammeter. In every case I've seen the charge side is hooked to the output terminal of the alternator (or Generators armature terminal) and the discharge side hooked directly to the starter in some fashion. Now, I don't claim to have seen it all but this is the most common way doing it. As far as the FL cars usually if you compare a Plymouth's electrical system (w/o ammeter) and a Chrysler's (w/ammeter) you'll find that aside from the extra goodies/options, they add an ammeter in this way. They take away the wire that the Plymouth has between the batt. terminal(charge) on the generator regulator and the starter solenoid's terminal that has the battery and main power feed for the accessories (discharge) and put an ammeter between it. Well, that's my two cents on it. If you have a FL car with a different setup for your ammeter that is factory correct, send it to me. I'd love to see what they did. Talk with you all later.
Take Care,
Frank