[FWDLK] '60-64 Chrysler Windshield Feedback Sought

[FWDLK] '60-64 Chrysler Windshield Feedback Sought

Howdy all y'all from the slowly-drying-out Texas Hill Country.  42+ inches of rain over 5 days.

Vic Phillips, my favorite old car glass supplier is e-mailing me regarding the idea that he is looking into getting the '60 Chrysler and DeSoto hardtop, sedan and convertible windshield remade in a new mold.  That is the deeply convex bubble windshield which also fits '61- 64 Chrysler convertibles but not other '61-64 body styles.  This also fits 1960 Dodge passenger cars, 1961 Dodge convertibles, 1962-64 Dodge 880 convertibles, 1960 Plymouths and the '61 Plymouth convertibles.  Incidentally, the '60 Chrysler station wagon is the only '60 Chrysler it does not fit.  This is the NAGS # 590 windshield.

It would be tinted and shaded and would have the PROPER bubble shape.

I'm aware that there has been availability of a reproduction of this windshield from Scandinavia through Timo Tanskanen in California for several years.  Timo is a friend of mine.  The complaint on that reproduction has been two-fold.  There is not enough "bubble" in the shape of the glass and the manufacturer's logo or "bug" is in the laminate and can not be removed by buffing for show car restorations.  Vic assures me he intends to have it done "right" this time.

If any of you have looked into the existing reproduction, you know this particular piece of glass is selling somewhere near $900 and then is not satisfactory to all.

Vic is looking at a very considerable investment to make the mold.  He would like to get some feedback as to what the market is for this particular windshield.  He will try to keep the retail under $1000.   It would take about a couple dozen to break even and the price could be lower if the quantity goes up and if they sell quickly.

Please reply DIRECTLY to me (NOT the whole list) if you would definitely be interested in this reproduction and I will give accumulated feedback to Vic.

If there is broad generalized discussion regarding this topic, I'm sure that is welcome on our e-mail list.

Wayne "Water Wings" Graefen