[FWDLK] Pushbutton shifting problems

BEFORE  adjusting the shifter mechanism in the tranny>>  First check the
alternative (and easy to fix) potential problem of a stiff cable.  This
leads to a worsening problem with shifting as the stiff cable starts to
seize up, and then eventually kinks.  Mine finally decided to only have
first gear working but it did it when I was 15 miles from home.  That was a
long trip!
        You can find out of this is the problem by getting into the pushbutton
pod, disconnecting the cable, and seeing if it moves freely at that end.
If it moves freely, then the problem is adjustment at the tranny end.  If
stiff, then all you need to do is lube the cable, which I did by
disconnecting it and pulling it into the engine bay, tying it up in an
elevated position, and pumping silicon-based lube into it over a 24 hour
period, while occasionally working it in and out using a pair of pliers
(not too vigorously). Do this until it takes very little effort to move it.
  Mine now shifts fine, and the buttons do what they're supposed to.
        PS.  Don't be scared of the pushbuton mechanism:  It's robust, simple,
requires no adjustment and it is very obvious how to remove it and
reinstall it.

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm