[FWDLK] starter help

Hello All,
                Well a few weeks ago I was looking for a bendix drive for my '59 Fury 318's starter. I ordered one using the parts book number and received it shortly. I finally had the time to put it in today only to find that it's the wrong one. Were there any changes made in late '59 to the starters? Should I try to find a '60 Plymouth bendix drive part no? I'm really confused here. All of the numbers on the starter match with the '59 PSM and the parts manual. The part I ordered is much shorter than the one that's on there now. Another possibility that crossed my mind was that it was rebuilt 5 years ago. Could the Auto-Electric shop "updated" it somehow so I can only get the bendix drives from them? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Take Care,
Frank