[FWDLK] WIPER STORIES

In about 1976 I bought a 60 Jeep wagon for snow plowing.  I had to go to the Stevens Point WI  airport to pick it up on a trailer and return the 55 miles to Neillsville WI.  It was in early spring and the weather was changing about every four hours from sunny to snow.  I had gotten within 5 miles of home when the first white out hit.  I could not see the end of the truck hood, (73 Dodge 2 wheel drive)  causing me to stop for the duration right where I was, in what I thought to be my lane. This blast sooned cleared, and I continued on after getting back to the lane I belonged.   I soon turned off the black top county road onto a town gravel road...only a mile to go.   As I went up the last quarter mile of the road, another white out...No sooner than the hood went out of my view, the engine stalled.  I sat there for about 5 minutes waiting for the snow to stop.  Soon after I decided to get out and walk home.  I left the comfort of my cab and headed right into the snow, feeling the ditch edge along the road as I went.  I reached the edge of the county road on which I live and stopped.   I could see about arms legnth at times, but 0 visibilty seemed to have settled upon me forever.   I listened for cars or trucks on the highway, but the wind was so strong I could not hear anything.   I decided to run for it across the highway until I found the ditch...Which I found face first as I hit the snow drift on the opposite side of the road.  I got up spitting snow from my mouth and clearing my eyes.  I turned and started walking, feeling the edge of the ditch as I went until I bumped into my mailbox.  Home at last.  A right turn and up the drive to the warm comforts of home.  I no sooner got into the house, and the the snow stopped and the sun came out!   Back to my truck to find the air filter housing had plugged with the driving snow, choking off the engine.  Yes, there are white outs, even in little 'ol WI on occasion.