Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 2:59 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 59 NYer "Red Lion"???

"Red Lion" edition?  Buffalo manure!

Chrysler called their engines "Golden Lion" and had a leaping lion on the
side emblems.   But there was no such thing as a "Red Lion".

The guy is restoring a 1959 Chrysler New Yorker 2-door hardtop, finds he
does not have all the needed trim to complete the restoration properly.
Result?   Strip all the trim off and fill the holes.  Give it a shiny red
paint job, and you have a "Red Lion"!

So what if it is more barren looking than the cheapest Windsor series.  So
what if Chrysler had just gone through two years of buyers and dealers
complaining the Windsor looked too cheap - not enough chrome!  Chrysler
offered a cheapo-looking New Yorker and called it a "Red Lion"?!?

Sold 200 of them?   Yup, just like a 1965 Barracuda with a factory-built
1965 340 V8,  factory-built 1963 Valiants with poly 318 V8's, 1957 Plymouth
Furys with factory-installed 392 hemi V8, etc., etc.

Wonder if he had painted the car Daffodil Yellow whether he would have
called it the "Yellow Lion".

Bill
Vancouver, BC