[FWDLK] rear end/pinion seal:

Real quick: - there are NO "crush sleeves" used in 8 3/4" diffs until model
year1969.
All 68 & earlier 8 3/4" diffs use shims to set the pinion preload
Without a "crush sleeve" there is no danger of OVERtightening the pinion nut
upon re-installation - UNLESS (for some reason) the original shim pack
(usually several rather thin shims) has been damaged or has deteriorated.
Once is a while I find that one or more of the really thin shims will
"split" or have been "squished out" - but usually all is well.
I would however, suggest that the job be done with the rear wheels off the
ground and with as little "brake drag" as possible so as to be better able
to detect an overly tight pinion turning torque following yoke installation.

Diffs with crush sleeves can be identified by the casting number -  Those
numbers ending with "489" DO have a crush sleeve.
All others use shims.

You can still replace the pinion seal without disassembly and replacement of
the crush sleeve in units so equipped, but the procedure is a bit different.

Regards,
DaveG.

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm