Re: [FWDLK] rear end

I am no expert on this but I recall a couple of things from searching the net.  As the bearings are pre loaded you want to make sure you do not over tighten the nut when you put it back on.  The preload is set without the seal in place orginally.  I have read the trick some people use is to mark the nut and count the exact number of turns to take it off, then replace it to the same mark.  The other option is, if you think the rearend might benefit from an adjustment take it to a shop that is experienced at this.  Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions, I checked all my old service books I they are pretty vague on what to do unless you are actually putting in a new pinion. Except for an old 50 pontiac book and they used the "exact" postion method.

 Terry Condy wrote:

Hello all again:
I have a small leak coming from the differential on my 58 Plymouth. I got a great deal on a replacement axel seal.($20.00!!)
My question is how much work is it to replace this seal?
I see from my parts book I can remove the whole dash pot from the rear end gears and all.
Is this necessary??
Thanks all again in advance
Terry C
London Ontario Canada