Re: [FWDLK] Gotta love those rear drums!

Re: [FWDLK] Gotta love those rear drums!

Lots of good advice tonight, I had followed others trials over the last few months and thought I was prepared. I  had tried all of these tricks already. The puller I have has a 3/4 inch threaded rod.  I couldn't find a heavier one around here. The one you have sounds just like the one pictured in the service manual. I am using a 2 pound sledge on the end of a 18 inch long 1 1/8 in wrench with a 3/4 inch square bar wedged in to stop the rotation.  I really think heat is the second to last resort, the last being to cut it off! I was going to loosen the drums on the parts car while I had the puller.  I may have to wait a month for my arms to recover.

 MPINEAPPLE1967@xxxxxxx wrote:

Marty
welcome to the club! I just did mine I went down to the local rental yard and rented a 3 legged drum puller NOT the slide hammer type. the three legs bolt down to the wheel studs it has an 1.25 inch fine thread shaft with a heavy  T on the end made to take a BIG hammer to!! it took me about 10 wacks with a 5# sledge and the first one came off the drivers side took about 12 wacks.
I went threw the same B.S you did until my neighbor came over because he herd me beating it to death and cursing like a sealer he's about 90 and the guy is a guru when it comes to 40's and 50's cars. He has Ben watching me resto on my 55 for the last year he keeps telling me to hurry it up so he can take it for a spin before his number comes up. I hope I do get it done just to let him take it for a spin ju! st to say thank you.

         MARC B
1955 DODGE ROYAL
    CONVERTIBLE
       U, P., WA.