[FWDLK] Valve Cover Gaskets

Me again, coming begging for answers.
My 61 with the 318 poly v-8 demanded valve cover gaskets because of
minor drips. These valve covers have just the two hold down bolts in the
middle of the cover ( a poor design if you ask me). Anyhow, I went to my
favorite NAPA store and all I could get were the black rubber(?)
gaskets. Needless to say they leak worse since I performed the
operation. If I remember correctly, when I was a kid, dad only used cork
gaskets on these covers. Seems to me they would seal and be more
forgiving than these black things. My question, is, can one get the
corks, should I use RTV sealer on the lip between gasket and head, or am
I doing something wrong after surgically cleaning all surfaces and
bolting down these black gaskets?
As always, thanks in advance
leaking phoenix

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm