Re: [FWDLK] Valve Cover Gaskets

Here's an old VW trick. Do as David suggested check for damage and cement them solidly to the covers.  Then use a liberal coating of a heavy grease between the head and the cover gasket.  If this doesn't work then you may have to resort to cementing both sides.  Also check the area around the bolt holes to see if the cover has been over tightened in the past.  If the area looks a little sunk you can use a socket and body hammer and gently restore them to the orginal configuration.

Hope something works.  Oil leaks are so frustrating when everything should be "perfect".

 David Homstad <dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Phoenix61,

Cork gaskets probably compress more and thus are more forgiving with uneven
covers than rubber gaskets. But cork can be fragile and prone to hardening
before use. Rubber is probably more likely to maintain its resiliency over a
longer time and provide a longer life seal.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Check the valve cover for nicks, dents, or warping in the seal area.
Straighten as required.
2. Clean the cover, head, and gasket surfaces of all oil residue, if you
want to use a RTV sealer. Use a residue free solvent.
3. If you want to remove the cover in the future, such as to adjust valves,
I prefer to RTV the gasket to only the cover. Mount the cover before the RTV
cures.
4. If you want a permanent seal, RTV the gasket to both the cover and head.
Make sure your RTV is oil resistant. The gasket may be ruined if it is RTVed
on both! sides if you ever remove the cover.
5. Over tightening will warp the cover when center studs are used, or bend
the rim when cover bolts are used at the edge. Let the gasket and sealer do
its job.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500