[FWDLK] Clogged oil passage...

Hello fellow forwardlookers,

I think I've got a pretty nasty problem with my '57 392 hemi. I noticed
some tappet noise from the driver's side head and pulled out the heads
and opened lifter valley cover. When I removed lifters and started
inspecting
them I noticed that one of the lifters was dry and there was no
backpressure
when pushing the lifter's piston down. I disassembled and cleant all the
lifters
throughly and they already were pretty clean, no sludge and no
cloggings.

After that I started to check the oil passages. I have a rifle brush set
but
it's too thick for the job so I used a long wire clamp and started
brushing
the passages. The stuff that came out from the passages was not black
or brownish oil, instead it was grey sludge. So obviously there hasn't
been
oil in that section of the block in ages. I have a hemi manual and from
the
oil flow chart I found out that the oil to the driver's side lifters
comes from the
passage in front of the block and there is no return path. Because the
pass.
side lifters were oiled and actual oil was found from the passage I
suspect that
the passage from the pass. side lifters to driver's side lifters is
clogged.

I still have the engine in the car and I was kind of hoping to get the
clogged
passage clean without pulling out the engine. I was wondering if anyone
in
the list has any experience how to remove cloggings from the unbrushable
oil passages? I was planning on pouring some transmission fluid to the
passage, let it sit for a week and then apply some compressed air. Any
other
tricks that I could try?  I'll make a dummy oil pump driving shaft so
that I can
run the oil pump with a drill to see if I get any oil to the lifters...

Anykind of ideas or such are warmly welcomed! Thanks!

- Risto Kivela, IL -

'57 Chrysler NYer, 2DHT

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs