[FWDLK] Fw: Repro WINDSHIELDS Project

Howdy,

Back in June, July and August of this year I opened discussion regarding '57-59 bubble windshields (NAGS #453)  and also the '60-64 bubble windshields (NAGS 590) and the tinting color that was authentic and original from PPG as installed at the Mopar factories when the cars were new.  These are basically the convertible windshield glasses and some hardtops.  There was a great deal of correspondence regarding the color and I appreciate everyone who contributed on the subject.   Overwhelming evidence on original cars shows that through this era the factory PPG color was green.  Indeed, the very definition of "Solex" glass from PPG is that it is green tinted.

I am pleased to tell you at this time that sample original windshields are in the process of having molds made from them and that priority of importance is being given to getting the bubble shape correct as well as overall fit.  As mentioned originally, the cost  will be between $850 and $950 per windshield plus shipping from the middle of the country, Missouri.   This cost is based on having 10 of each number originally produced.  If there had been a greater response of commitment to purchase and the original order could have been placed for 20 pieces of each, the cost would have come down by about $100.

Because this is a comparatively small project for the glass manufacturer, there is no absolute date when the glasses will be available as yet.

My involvement with this project has been as a liaison between a dedicated hobby supplier of antique glass and the Chrysler 300 Club Intl. Inc. and the ForwardLook Group.  I don't have much more info at this time.

If you wish to comment to the glass supplier directly, he is Vic Phillips,  Phillips Classic Auto Glass, classicglass@xxxxxxxx  or phone 573-785-1927 during regular business hours.   Vic has over 60,000 pieces of new windshields and back glasses for cars of the '50s - '80s and can also help with your flat glass needs.  He has been doing this business for over 20 years and I have personally dealt with him several times with complete satisfaction!

Wayne Graefen