[FWDLK] Thermostats for later polys

On the subject of thermostats:  When I took a look at mine (which is
supposedly in a 24,000 mile from new 1961 poly 318) it had an obsolete
thermostat (Stant S-370H 180 degree).  I had already bought a replacement
Motormaster  unit from a Canadian Tire store in Alberta, and was surprised
how much smaller the new thermostat was than the old.  Especially in the
hole diameter and amount of gap when heated in a pan of water.  At NAPA I
found the newer recommended Stant was also much smaller than my old
thermostat.  I then simply hunted through the thermostats on the rack,
looking for one with the same outside diameter but larger opening.  I found
one (Stant 35127 170 degree) that has about the same opening as my
original, and in fact even larger potential flow, because the spring and
its shaft are so much longer.  I was concerned that this might be too long,
but I found that there's plenty of room for it in the engine, and it works
really well.  In fact, you can see that sucker kick right in there as the
engine warms, by the needle movement on the temperature gauge.  I thought
I'd share this with other poly owners in case thermostat choice has been
problematic for anyone, or if overheating has been an issue.

Vote now for the 2003 Calendar vehicles!

http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2003