[FWDLK] Tale of a '59 Sport Fury

In about 10 days, my '59 Sport Fury should arrive.  I recently received the
title... which had the name of the owner to whom it was issued in '71.  A
little snooping around, and I came up with a phone number.  I got off of the
phone with him just a few minutes ago.

It turns out, the car was purchased new by his father in 1959 in Boise,
Idaho, from Hessing-Thurber Motors (Waldo Thurber is still alive, in his
90's; Jim Hessing is now deceased) where the car spent most of its life.
Boise is fairly arid, which fortunately contributes to the rust free
condition of the car.  When his father died, he took ownership, and drove it
for several years before parking it in the lot at his business, where it sat
for a very long time.  After kids broke the side glass several times, he
decided to sell rather than restore, a couple of years ago; it found its way
to Denver, where it went up for sale on eBay in September.  I recently
bought it from the auction winner, and I can't wait to take delivery.

Here's an interesting tidbit:  In 1964, the former owner was on the way to
St. Luke's Regional Hospital with his pregnant wife in the front seat of the
Sport Fury -- his dad was driving.  They didn't make it in time; Shannon was
born 2/11/64 in the front seat at 23rd and Fairview, outside of the "Flying
A" gas station!  Now, that's history.

        Dan
        '59SF