Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge body bolts

Ken,
The 2 all the way in the back of the trunk (back by the taillights) did not
have any bushings at all. It was metal to metal with a bolt that threaded
into a nut welded into the chassis.
I had a few thin 1/8 and 1/4 inch bushing left over and one of them all the
way back there but it was not needed.

The other 2 in the trunk up over the wheel wells if I recall correctly had a
stud that was welded to the chassis and a long shank nut that went through
the bushings. This way there was no stud projecting into the trunk space,
only  the head of the nut.  If your studs are gone you can either try to
make a new one and weld it to the chassis  or maybe weld a nut onto a large
washer, place the washer on the chassis, with the nut facing down sitting
into the chassis and weld the washer to the chassis.  The bushing setup
would be just like the other body bushings here. I dont think you could
avoid welding on this one, getting a nut inside the frame rails will be
pretty tough, if not impossible.
As far as shimming (my metal guy did this for me but explained the process))
you want to place the body on the frame with the bushings in place.  Then
you want to check if there is any clearance between the bushing and the
chassis. If there are any gaps you will want to shim up those areas with
washers you dont want the body twisting to meet the chassis as you tighten
them down.

Good luck
Scott