Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Brake drum question

Those studs are most likely "swedged" in place.  A process (I believe anyway), where a part of the stud itself is "smashed" down onto the brake drum, - thus holding them in place (and rather securely evidently).  A machine shop should have a "cutter" that will remove the "swedging", thus facilitating removal of the drum from the hub.  At that point the studs can most likely be knocked out with a hammer.  As far as availability of replacement studs, I wouldn't know, but I would think that among the many studs that are available, surely there would be something that would fit the hub tight enough to hold (as in a good "press fit").  As for "RE-swedging" the drum back onto the hub, - I wouldn't bother.  Unless your wheel falls off, the drum isn't going anywhere.

I'm guessing the only reason it (swedging) was done in the first place was to keep the drum from falling off while the car went down the assembly line (prior to tire & wheel installation of course).

Regards,
DaveG.