Re: [FWDLK] Nerves of steel?

Now that everyone is telling stories I may as well get mine into the archives.

Two summers ago the National Chrysler Products Club (NCPC) was having a meet in Scranton, PA, about 130 miles from where I live in Oakland, NJ.  I just put a rebuilt FP31 engine in the car and figured I'd take a ride to Scranton.

I drove west on Rte 80, through New Jersey into Pennsylvania and to Rte 380 north.  I was doing about 70 mph on Rte 380 for about 15 minutes when I saw a puff of white smoke blow out the back of my car.  The car lurched, then continued driving relatively easily.  I pulled off the road, got out and looked under the car.  I then checked my transmission fluid and all seemed OK.  Needless to say when I got back into the car and put it in gear the car started missing. First I thought it was an engine problem, but when I pulled over again and looked under the car, I saw trans fluid covering the under side of the trans and rolling back towards the rear of the car.  I made it to the show but when I got there the trans fluid was running out of the transmission with a vengeance.  I parked the car on the show field and went downtown to get some trans fluid and a funnel.  After the show I drove the car back down Rte 380 to Rte 8 and the car stopped.!   At that point I called AAA and was towed home, about 100 miles.  Luckily I have AAA Plus so the tow didn't cost anything.  But, I had obliterated my transmission.  The  trans shop wanted over $3000.00 to fix it.  Luckily I was able to find a T/F trans that I had rebuilt for about $1000.00.  The one consolation was that the car won a first place trophy in it's class.

I was foolish for not having the trans checked out before I put in the new engine.  My fault.  Since then I've taken the car to Macungie, PA which is about 100 miles away. I'm thinking of driving to the GFS meet at the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle this summer.  Carlisle is about 180 miles away.  So, I guess you have to take a chance now and then.  Sometimes they work out and other times they don't.
John Paxos