Re: [FWDLK] Safe Driving and cruise

I finally had to chime in on this one.  Please note that this is speaking generally, not specifically.  MOST modern cars use the antilock brake sensor(s) to read the speed for the cruise control.  This is also how traction control systems work.  Normally this sensor is mounted one per wheel, so there are 4 of them to check one another, and the drive wheel, non-drive wheel doesn't matter.  Older cars with anti-lock only on the rear wheels will use either a sensor mounted on the diff housing or one sensor each mounted on the rear wheel brake backing plates, or even just on one backing plate, left or right.  This happens with FWD cars.  With no antilocks, there is a different method.  SOME use the sensor that transmits for the speedometer, if the car has an electronic speedo.  MOST old cars used the speedo cable to control the cruise.  Unless I am mistaken, most old Mopars are in this class.  The speedo is driven off the trans output shaft and that is a function of driveshaft spe!
ed, so it doesn't really see the true wheel speed.  My 93 Ramcharger used both a sensor for the antilocks mounted on the diff housing and a sensor mounted on the speedo cable, both to check one another.  When I disabled the rear-only antilocks (long story) the cruise control began to behave in a funny manner.  It kinda keeps the speed, until you go up or down a long hill, then it falls off on both accounts.  I don't know if any of this has any bearing at all on hydroplaning, but in the 20+ years of driving that I have done, I have used the cruise in many a rainstorm and never had a problem.