Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Left hand lug nuts

Wow, hate to say he got it wrong, but according to more than one article, and more than one source, the reason for left hand threaded lug nuts was for NASCAR racing.  They found that at high speed and long distance the nuts would begin to back out.  They remedied this with left hand nuts.  Since (at that time) cars had to be available in production in order to compete, Chrysler did this on the whole line (so far as I know).  When they got out of NASCAR the left hand nuts disappeared (1981-82-83?).

Just my pennies,
Charles.
P.S. our beloved fin cars didn't use them did they?

has a nicely written article regarding Chrysler's left hand threaded lug nuts and explaining why the practice was dropped and where it came back too!

Good reading.

Wayne