[FWDLK] Lower control arm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to remove the lower control arm from the frame crossmember, but
the shaft does not seem to move. Torsion bars are out of the way, front nut
and cotterpin are removed and the upper control arms are loose from the
frame. I've tried to force it, but before I put some true force to it, I
want to make sure I did not forget something obvious.

The service manual says "Using a hammer and a brass drift, loosen shaft (a
tapered fit in front crossmember)". Is there something else ? Or is there
any useful tricks I should know ?

On another tip, is this easier to remove the ball joints from the control
arms when they are still attached to the frame, or can it also be done when
they are removed ?

Thanks.

Vincent Van Humbeeck
'58 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe