[FWDLK] of late '61 DeSotos

The last 1961 DeSotos were indeed built on November 30th of 1960.  Since some Chrysler models were built on the same production line interspersed with the DeSotos, the DeS VIN numbers are not consecutive.   I have done research with Chrysler Historical to be able to tell you for a fact that 611315102 was the highest DeS VIN in 1961 and this car left the plant on Dec. 29th.  To date, every DeS verified to have been built on Nov 30 has been a 2 door hardtop as they apparently had extra 2dr bodies without orders and simply used them up.  The VIN, body number, build date and other info are on the data tag on the left door pillar.

The highest DeS VIN that is extant is 6113134667, a 2 dr ht built Nov. 30 which was perhaps the last DeSoto to leave the plant on Dec. 30th.  It was sold by Howard Motors in Louisiana.  I have information on the location of the car and photos.  It is owned by an apparent recluse who refuses to sell the car as it was her mother's.  It has sat outside in tall grass long enough that it has sunk into the dirt and is now resting on its rocker panels.

Anyone with knowledge of a '61 DeSoto, whether owned by yourself, a neighbor or in a junk yard, is requested to contact Dean Mullinax, DeSoto Club president,  DeS4me@xxxxxxxxxxx  and is asked to provide some information for a database of the last DeSotos.

RIP  DeSoto.

Wayne