[FWDLK] Type of Gasoline in 1957 Belvedere

[FWDLK] Type of Gasoline in 1957 Belvedere

Title: Message
Is it ok to use unleaded gasoline in my 1957 Belvedere, or do I need to add something to it to preserve my engine?

I found this article, and it made me wonder:  http://www.shellus.com/products/product_info/gasoline_faq.html

11. Speaking of old cars, what about using unleaded gasoline in my car that was built to use leaded gasoline?

In nearly all cases, unleaded gasoline will cause no problem when used in engines designed for leaded gasoline. Engineering studies show lead in gasoline reduced risk of exhaust valve damage when an engine was operated under unusually stressful conditions. Stressful conditions include prolonged high speed, high temperature driving, high speed trailer towing, or carrying unusually heavy loads. Under these conditions, there is risk of exhaust valve recession. Extreme recession can lead to engine failure. If the kind of driving you do with your older vehicle, built to run on leaded gasoline, is stressful, then using a supplemental lead substitute additive will minimize risk of recession. Normal driving does not require supplemental additives. If your car is designed to run on unleaded gasoline, or is labeled "unleaded gasoline only", there is no need for supplemental additive. In these cars, adding supplemental valve lubricant additive may damage emission control systems.

--
Patrick
1957 Belvedere