Re: [FWDLK] Timing is everything: Adjusting valves

Re: [FWDLK] Timing is everything: Adjusting valves

Dan,

In theory, your process should work. That's what I tried the first time, but
I didn't get good results. So I came up with the following method for my
D500 which sets each valve when the cam lobe is close to 180 degrees away.

Valve lash adjustment procedure (56 D500 only, all other Dodge Hemi/Poly V8s
are hydraulic): [ref. Mopar Performance "Engines" book, P/N 4452790, page
141]: Firing order: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.  Rotation: clockwise when viewed from
the front. Cylinder layout on driver's side: 1 3 5 7. Passenger side: 2 4 6
8. Start by finding TDC on cylinder # 1 during its compression stroke (both
valves closed and time for the spark). For each succeeding cylinder, rotate
the engine 1/4 turn and use a long blunt probe (large screwdriver that will
not fall in) in the spark plug hole to find TDC. For the valves being
adjusted, the cam lobe peak will be 180 degrees opposite the lifter.

  Cylinder #      adjust       adjust
    at TDC        intake       exhaust
     1              2            8
     8              1            4