[FWDLK] Leaks: 3 -- Dan: 2

OK,

Here's the latest on the Little Dutch Boy versus the '59 Sport Fury...

1) About the transmission leak from the shift control cable: I'm not sure this amounts to anything.  OK, so there was some indication of fluid there, but I wiped it off last night and it hasn't reappeared.  The pan bolts, on the other hand, needed a good snug -- in some cases, a lot.  I'm surprised there wasn't more of a leak, frankly.  I think this is where I got a couple of drips from.

2) About the fuel pump:  Definitely leaking oil.   About replacing it, Lou Cortese said:  "If you decide to replace the pump, be aware there are a couple of different style fuel pumps for the 57'-63' 318. They all bolt up but the rocker arms are different...  I got excellent tech help from Kanter determining what type of pump I had.  The arms are the point of contention. The "airtex" pump rocker arm is riveted together and a bit longer then the "carter/AC" pumps,who's arm is one piece."

I called Kanter, but what the guy said was "get the casting number off the pump and call me back".  He told me a couple places to look, and I scraped and scraped -- but couldn't find a casting number.  According to what Lou said, however, this is an AirTex -- here's a pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/59sportfury/fwdlk/fuelpump.jpg

Does anyone recognize it?  There was a tin label attached to the fuel pump that said: "REBUILT  711NRX".  I'm thinking that NAPA will have a rebuilt for this, but I don't know what to ask for.  Any help here?

Also, there was a glass bowl Carter fuel filter attached to the fuel pump.  Is the filter replaceable, and where can I get it?  And where can I get the rubber gasket?

3)  Then, there's antifreeze on the bottom radiator hose.  I snugged up the clamp last night, but it reappeared; I don't see where it's coming from the radiator, but I can't imagine where else it's coming from.  I'll replace the hose, but I bet there's a radiator yank in my future.

4)  And too my surprise, I caught some antifreeze in the drip pan, under the starter!  there was a drip of green on the starter about to drop -- looks like freeze plugs to me.  The one to the left of the starter appeared to be weeping... (*sigh*)

5) And, although it hasn't dropped onto the floor yet, I think that was a drop of power steering fluid on the bottom of the PS unit.

OK, so the car sat for 25 years before I started driving it again.  I guess it's a testament to how well built these crates are, that there aren't more problems.  But it's a bit discouraging that each time I stick my finger in the dike, another leak springs over there...

Well, enough griping.  I'm just happy to be able to drive it at all; it's still a lot of fun.

Any comments on my "scorecard" would be much appreciated...

        Dan
        '59 Sport Fury