From: "Nathan Nuttall" <nnuttall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 9:23 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Wiring Harnesses & Heater Valves

> Does anyone have any advice for the easiest way to replace the wiring
harness on my 56 Plymouth? The cloth insulation is falling apart. Every time
I even think about looking around under my dash, more of it falls off into
oblivion.

> I found a company on the internet called YnZ's Yesterdays parts in
Redlands, CA. They make original harnesses with original cloth insulation.
This is neat, but not really what I would like. I am not building an
absolutely stock show car, and I would prefer to have a harness made with
reliable vinyl or teflon insulation like modern wires. Additionally, this
kit is somewhat pricey. This company refuses to make me a harness out of
modern wires at any price. I have no idea why.

> Painless wiring carries wire harness kits, but they are not specific to my
Plymouth and about the only benefit they provide is the addition of a modern
fuse block. I am not sure that a fuse block is really necessary in the 56
since I have heard that each original device has built in fuse protection.
Putting one of these systems in my Plymouth sounds like a lot of work and
not much better than doing it without paying for a "kit". I also require
soldered connectors with heat shrink tubing since it has been my experience
that crimp-on connectors eventually corrode and loosen up such that you end
up constantly chasing open connections from one end of the car to the other.

> So my questions are: Would it really be worthwhile to add a separate fuse
block? Does anyone know of a company that makes an easy plug-in harness out
of modern wires?

> Secondly, I made the mistake of trying out my heater control valve. This
control valve likely has not been used since the day it was new. Of course
it immediately started leaking all over. the rubber in the valve is
completely shot. It has one of those funky looking capillary tubes connected
to it. I don't see any way of disassembling it to get to the rubber seal.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or how to take it apart to
replace the seal?